Today, for my First Friday Features, I am very excited to welcome.....Phyllis, a very famous groundhog! Its not everyday you get to talk to a groundhog. Phyllis comes to us via
Susanna Leonard Hill. Susanna is Phyllis' creator along with Jeffery Ebbeler, illustrator. Although she has been busy touring around the world lately,she
agreed to answer a few questions for us.
1. Phyllis, tell me, do you find people think you are lazy because of your need for a long sleep? No one has ever called me lazy, but I am not your typical, everyday groundhog! If you have read Punxsutawney Phyllis, you know that I like to get up in February instead of in March! And if you have ever seen me on a school visit I sing and cavort and am generally full of beans. I know this because Susanna says, "Phyllis, you are full of beans!"
2. Your fashion sense is stunning. Who is your clothing designer? Why, thank you! It's not everyone who can pull off green overalls, or a purple and yellow scarf! But then, not everyone has my figure, or my glossy brown fur :) I guess Jeff Ebbeler is my fashion designer - he drew my clothes. But my Aunt Leslie made me the hat and scarf you can see in some of my blog photos. She crocheted them herself to exactly match my book. Isn't she amazing?
3. What is your very favorite snack? Oh, that's an EASY one! I LOVE STRAWBERRIES!!!!!
4. You seem to have a "second sense" when it comes to sensing storms....is this a natural gift? I believe it is a gift. Like ESP. Or the ability to hang a spoon off your nose. Not many individuals have it. But I also work at it. I pay attention to all the signs that nature gives me. And I'm very intelligent so I know that 2 + 2 equals a blizzard.
5. Your creator is Susanna Hill. Do you think you and Susanna will have more adventures? We have adventures every day! Why, just last Thursday we went on a school visit and one of the kindergartners called me a chipmunk! I ask you! But yes, I hope we will have more adventures. Susanna keeps muttering about ideas. Then she says things like, "But there's no ending," and, "That part doesn't make any sense," and "Hey! Who ate all the strawberries!"
Phyllis' latest book April Fool Phyllis! is now out.
Susanna, was most gracious and sent us a Phyllis book as a giveaway! Leave me a comment below this post telling me this: When Groundhog's Day rolls around, do you wish for an early spring, or six more weeks of winter? I'll start the ball rolling and say I always, always hope for six more wintery
weeks! I love winter. You have until Monday night at 9:00 pm edt....I'll announce on Tuesday.
Visit Susanna's Blog to see her other books, read all her writing posts and
helpful information and best of all, follow Phyllis on her World Tour!
Thanks Susanna for sharing Phyllis with me today, and Phyllis, I wish you a
basket FULL of strawberries!